Monday, July 13, 2009

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, I have been training long, long hours to compete in the Ironman this summer. What some of you may or may not know, is that this is just one of many races I have been doing all summer and this Ironman is the culmination journey that I set out on a relatively short time ago. My story goes something like this…

My friend Sarah volunteered at the Ironman last year, and as is the case for many volunteers each year, she was hooked the minute she saw the tears running down the athletes faces as they exited the bike after 112 miles in 94 degree heat and headed out on the marathon march through downtown Louisville. The blood, sweat and tears envoked action in her. I emphasize her at this moment because she signed up the next day. I didn’t. I thought she was crazy and I told her so for a few months afterwards. So September and October came and went and November started to creep upon us. By that time, Sarah, Jackie and I had decided to run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day, 2008 (about 7.5 months ago). We were sitting around when Jackie said, “I have always wanted to do the Ironman, its been a lifelong dream.” To which I replied she was crazy and I had no desire WHATSOEVER to do the Ironman. I was happy on my elliptical 3 times a week. Well, she said she was signing up if there were openings. Well, hell. Anyone knows me, knows that I cant sit on the sidelines. So fine, if there were openings (many people told me Ironman registration booked up within a few weeks of opening online registration in Sept), then I would sign up. Fair enough, and certainly it would be closed. Um, no. 45 spots left as of Thanksgiving day. By the time we signed up it was a few days later (We had to collect the $525 entry fee- its not cheap), there were 5 spots left… Jackie and I signed up and the next day registration closed. Call it fate, I call it bad luck.

So great. I was registered. Now I needed a bike. Oh yeah, and apparently the kinds of bikes you need don’t come with pedals, so I need those too, and clips because God forbid you fall off your bike, your bike is going down with you. So, I had to invest in this sport, furthering my dedication to what I was about to embark on. Then I had to start running more than the 3 mile route around the neighborhood. That was the fun part… or not. Running brings injuries, of which Sarah, Jackie and I have had plenty!

To follow my story, my training, results and anything else you want to know, read my blog:

http://allyouhavetodoistri.blogspot.com/

But long story short, that fateful Thanksgiving Day last year, 2008, was quite possibly one of the most telling turning points in my life. I began this new journey, made a life altering decision and opened countless doors for myself and have learned life lessons that cant be taught anywhere else, even having experienced years and years in the swim pool. I have a few tasks left to complete and one of these involves you… One of my goals for my training was to incorporate friends and family and help others. I want to reach all ends of the earth (that’s a stretch, I know, but I can do it), and I want to serve a need close to everyone’s hearts. Everyone loves to help kids and everyone has been affected in some way by cancer.
I just received a very sad email from one of my dear friends from high school, Lee. She just got news that her mom was diagnosed with Stage II Breast Cancer. I have signed up to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer in September in addition to the Ironman- keep in mind, it can take MONTHS to fully recover from an Ironman, so this is going to be a feat in and of itself, but I am dedicated to it. This ride is a 150 mile bike ride through Kentucky, spread along 2 days, much like the MS 150 ride I did. I am going to do this in honor of Barbie Thomas (Lee's mom)... Another of my very good high school friends has dealt with breast cancer with her mom too (Emily). Consequently Lee, Emily, myself and many others were all best friends in high school. Emily has lived and traveled all over the world helping others and has recently landed in Africa. She and her group have started The Foundation For Tomorrow. This is a school for those children in need in Africa. Emily has dedicated her life to doing this, lives in Africa full time and she needs our help! My idea is that every person who knows me, Lee or Emily will want to help in some way, but may feel more of a need to contribute to a cause set up for cancer because of dealing with it in their family, themselves or another loved one. Or, someone else may feel that helping the children in Africa that Emily works with every day may hit home for them. Knowing you are providing shoes to a child who can’t afford it, or books to someone who may not know they exist. Together we can help a LOT of people.
Take a look at Emily's blog to read more about what she is doing and how we can help, then visit my firstgiving website that we have created and donate!! Every dollar counts!

http://thefoundationfortomorrow.org/
http://www.firstgiving.com/amymiranda

Below is the link to my Ride to Conquer Cancer website. In Barbie Thomas's honor (and everyone else you know who has had or who is dealing with cancer), let's raise as much money as we can.
http://www.ridetovictory.org/site/TR/Events/2009Kentucky?px=1015721&pg=personal&fr_id=1030

To honor both causes, I am going to compete in the following events (if you want to donate a dollar or penny for every mile, it will quickly add up!): July 18th- Cardinal Harbour Half Ironman- 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13,1 mile run
http://www.headfirstperformance.com/Int/Announcement.htm
August 30th- FORD IRONMAN LOUISVILLE- 2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run
http://www.ironmanlouisville.com/
September 26-27- Norton Ride to Conquer Cancer- 150 miles bike over 2 days

Thank you all in advance for your support. I would love to have you all out around the course as we compete this weekend (Cardinal Harbour Half Ironman) and AUGUST 30th in the Ford Ironman! It has truly been an amazing experience!!

Thanks again!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment